Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Paneer selling on 50% sale, A disaster in the lab while conducting experiment



So it were a hot sunny day and I was travelling on my bike at 50 km/hour (They say it gives a mileage of 90 Km/liter at that speed) which is less than my acceptable speed limits and more than what the vehicle could handle without vibration. The streets were filled with vehicles, small and big, inside of them were the drivers who think these streets were gifted to their grandfather as a dowry. Trainers say that we must be thinking positively when a bike rider or a car approaches us without following the common traffic rules; they say we must think they are in a hurry to rush and we are offering them a help. God knows how a trainer might react in reality when a compromised driver hits their vehicle hard in the rear; "think positively"!


So we were on the streets where this was happening?

Kunjunni Nair's Tattu kada was still having the crowd enough to eat their doshas as they arrive. A wise man, old enough to beat my great grandfather in his age was driving a Maruti Alto without a learners lisence; as it appears from his driving, blocked the "world's smallest road" from SN junction to Vadakke kotta. It took the traffic policeman 5 minutes to regain control over the street and I moved towards the supermarket 15 meters on the left from where I was then.

As always, I took a basket and started picking up the eatables in random without a shopping list. I took a packet of chana dal, Roasted rava, maggie noodles, aata, bhel puri pack and so on until I reached the last section where I normally pick a plastic glass packed with Lassi in Mango and sweetened flavors. I picked a pack named lassi and my eyes saw another packet within a small fridge called Paneer. Fascinated by the Paneer recipes in Sushma's blog (Authentic food delights), I decided to purchase it.

I once bookmarked a recipe from a blog, here's the link http://www.cookingandme.com/2009/10/paneer-butter-masala-restaurant-style.html for Paneer Butter Masala(the Restaurant style) and thought to try this. Read all the ingredients and made rough calculations. I find that I have everything else except the nestle milkmaid bottle in the photograph. I went to a nearby store and purchased the milkmaid.

I followed the instructions of the blogger and started the preparation. I being fond of sauss, used a little more than 1 table spoon. It all went fine and tasted good. At last was the turn of the nestle bottle and I poured milkmaid as instructed. Rather I used a little more so that I could taste the sweetness . Finally the dish was ready and I kept it to cool.

I shared the paneer with my friend along with chapatti. It tasted much different than a restaurant bought paneer butter masala. He ate a few pieces and then commented on it "Abhilash, it appears good when we eat such dishes... good to taste though it has a lot of sugar and spice. I wonder how my stomach reacts to your dish 'the so called paneer butter masala" :-p

I spoke to Priya Sreeram last week and shared this recipe with her. That is when she pointed out it were not a milkmaid that should be used but a nestle cream. I went through the blog again and realized I made a blunder. This experiment end in a disaster, but I should say the dish was quiet sweet and tasty ;)

That's when I understand that, no matter whether you purchase Paneer for 10% higher rate or on a sale of 50%, you have invested some amount and whatever you prepare has to be good; at least for you :)

Did such disasters happen to you?




9 comments:

  1. Adding milkmaid and making curry you are first one in the world Abhi, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally v add heavy cream,but i think its ok to add little bit of milkmaid to adjust the tanginess of the tomatoes.Loved the look of the gravy,so rich n colorful..Better luck next time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi abhilash,how are you doing? sorry couldnt keep in touch,hardly find time to blog these days,....paneer butter masala looks so mouthwatering, am sure it was v tasty...even i add a little bit condense milk at times if i dont have khoya at home...and thanks for taking inspiration from my blog and making a paneer dish...looks awesome..thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milkmaid in curry, quite innovative for me Abhi, way to go boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this pic is making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want the taste :) i never taste a curry with milkmaid :)
    Please Visit My News Site, and share your views. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buddy, don't let one such mistake worry you or put you off cooking experiments...and trust me, I am a veteran speaking. I could write a whole book on blunders like that...you served it to your friend...I served to my in-laws....imagine their predicament! So cheer up and keep trying till you succeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your valuable comments. I do respect your opinions.

All the posts are about my life with a pinch of comment on social activities and new discoveries happening around us.

The purpose is to impart knowledge and welcome comments for correction on views, since these are from a single spectator.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin