Monday, November 7, 2011

Amusing neighbours - preparing chapaties using chapati maker



I purchased a chapatti maker few years ago and from then I have been using it to prepare the chapattis. Preparing them using the standard chakla belan way was tiresome and I did not have so much time to wait and see them become eatables. I have been asked by several blog readers and colleagues as to how I prepare it and that they find it very difficult. Neighbors say that they tried it many a times but it either tears apart or becomes a lost island. I thought they would be either bluffing or they never tried it before, and why would they invest a 2k grand on a chapatti maker. Few days ago the cook (mini chichi) who prepares food for us asked me if she could try the chapatti maker. She tried it many times but it either gets shooed or torn. I made her learn the way and then I thought why not to post it online as many may have the same problems preparing it the chapatti maker way.

So here come the steps to preparing a perfect fluffy chapatti, directly from the Master Chef’s kitchen:

Step 1:

Prepare a normal dough as you prepare for chapaties the standard way. Increase the water percentage than the normal dough but make sure it does not sticks and is soft.



Step 2:

Make small bolls and dip them in the wheat flour.

Step 3:

Switch on the chapatti maker and keep for 5 minutes until the indicator goes off indicating it is hot enough to prepare chapaties. Place the chapatti ball on the maker and close the lid.



Step 4:

While closing the lid, make sure you don’t press tightly and that the pressure and duration is enough to make the dough spread on the non stick surface.



Step 5:

If done in a better way, you could see the chapatti become perfect round shape. Slide the chapatti to the other side to cook.



Step 6:

Let both the sides cook until it reaches the stage you need them to appear. I prefer the ones that are cooked well.



Step 7:

Close the lid when you are fine with the outer texture and you would see the chapatti lid rising on its own with a fluffy chapatti coming out.



A closeup view of the chapati is below.




I hope this helps. If you have any doubts, do write through your comments or email me on abhilashpillai72ster@gmail.com

15 comments:

  1. Wow... really nice chapati!!! Thanks for the detail post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave away mine as we didn't like the taste though the chapathis were soft and puffed up. I guess it sure saves time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adipoli chapathi Abhi, you are cooking genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amma had left me with one couple of years ago and I returned it to her. Because I kept trying to make chapattis but got tortillas instead.:-)

    Thanks for the demo. Always wanted to ask you since I read about you getting that chappati maker. Will try to make these once I get my hands on the roti maker again.

    -kajan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous chappathi, superb tutorial..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm...nice phulka demo....Most of the Keralaities do not enjoy phulka. they make chapathis fried on tawa with oil..and add oil in the dough too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had one many years ago but since the chappathis never turned out well... not sure of it's whearabouts.. but would love to try it now after seeing your splendid chappathi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun to learn how to make chapatis

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is soo much more convenient and easier to use! Never knew they had these!! Do you think they will sell these in the US? Am living there now and I want to ease my time when making chapatis. Too much work when you are doing everything by hand and by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ball keeps sliding to the edge when I try to close the first time. How to avoid that? Do you mix the dough softer than when you do it by hand?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anonymous - You can try placing the round dough pieces on the dry wheat flour and then on the chappatti maker. The slip occurs because the wetness of the dough is more than required.

    Once you try this for 3-4 times you will understand what is the amount of water required to make dough.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How to buy where to buy this product , i m malaysian pls email me priyahmohana@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must have to take your blog as my primary blog for reading as there are so many new things to getting more and more true information.
    roti maker

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your valuable comments. I do respect your opinions.

All the posts are about my life with a pinch of comment on social activities and new discoveries happening around us.

The purpose is to impart knowledge and welcome comments for correction on views, since these are from a single spectator.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin