Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Biggest and deadliest ice cream festival in Cochin - Tripunithura



The frequency of incidents happening in my life has increased while the tendency to write and read has reduced. Have I become the same kid behind whom my mother ran with a stick? On the other hand, maybe I am lazy again. There was a time when I used to write once in a day, and then it reduced to an article in 5 days and now two posts a month. The concept of sharing my daily incidents in life, “Life at Abhi” seems vanishing. This is no confession to the readers who occasionally arrive at the blog but a confession by me, to me for not meeting my plans and decisions. I am not a busy jack but a lazy Mac who brushes teeth once a day, baths twice a day and eats thrice a day. I am... PIRATED...




Last week Gopu sold his old laptop for a 15 grand and we planned to celebrate this with an ice cream, may be a Rajadhani special. Gopu and I headed towards the Rajdhani Ice cream parlour when Jk asked us to try a new store that is open near the bus stop. The guard greeted us with a piece of paper distributed as an advertisement to the newly inaugurated shop. We entered the shop and started mugging up the menu, reviewing it many times searching for the ice cream that was the highest in price. I found one written 150 rupees and I marked it for an order while Jk was still busy with the list. Gopu was sweating in front of the Air Conditioner imagining the bill we could generate on his profit.



We were about to order when my eyes went on the piece of paper given by the guard that had an attractive offer. It was written in bold letters “Fill your tummy in 30 minutes for 100 rupees; eat as much as you can”. I called the shop manager and enquired about the offer at which he explained that the offer includes all ice creams and shakes in the shop that are included in the menu for just 100 rupees, provided we maintain the 30 minutes schedule and completely consume the ones ordered. He further added to place an order for a new ice cream as soon as we finish one. He was very happy at his explanation and said that no has ordered more than two ice creams in 30 minutes duration.




We called the waiter and said that we would like to opt for the 100-rupee plan. Gopu and I searched the complete book and ordered two to three costly ice creams. While ordering the waiter added “you will have to complete whatever you order so be cautious or we shall claim extra”. Gopu looked at me with an anxious, angry expression as if the waiter has challenged us for our capabilities. Gopu said “aha! Angane anengil varatte, kanichu taram” (let it come, we will show you).




The waiter gave us a card with start timings written on it and the time-finished left blank. He asked me to look at the corner, pointing on an old-fashioned clock with its minute hand on six. I folded the sleeves of the shirt and Gopu adjusted the tummy. Jk smiled at the manager who was very happy to have successfully conveyed the history of the store and its offers. We started with the first ice cream and ate it like a fluffy cake. In 3 minutes, we placed another order and the waiter rushed inside to bring it. This time it was a bigger bowl with three scoops of ice creams, one green, other yellow and red. We took another 7 minutes to finish it and ordered an ice cream shake. The manager’s face was changing pale watching us eat the costliest cold ice creams like bread. The clock started running fast and we ordered one after the other. Five minutes remaining, Gopu and I ordered the last ice cream. Jk finished the competition with a shake.



We managed to finish our bowls in time. The scores were I with six ice creams and one ice cream shake, Gopu with five ice creams and one shake, Jk with two shakes and four ice creams. The manager was completely blank with his mouth touching his feet, eyes dull and eyebrows flying from his forehead. We all came out of the shop like the players back after winning the world cup tournament. Gopu looked at me and asked if there is a chance to call an ambulance. : )

Though it was a heavy ice cream festival, it is not possible to explain the enjoyment in words. At last, we proved that no one could defeat us at least in eating. : )

20 comments:

  1. Makes for a lovely read. I remember we took our nephews for an ice cream treat when they were small and they gobbled everything that we thought were big ice creams. Glad to see that you all enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha.. you hungry ghost!! you had 6 ice creams and a shake!!!!! oh my god.. sounds like my one month meal :) all your six packs would have turned into one super big pack now :P

    Sounds like a lot of fun and poor shop owner :) he really under estimated you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had 6 ice creams and shake, you put on all the calories needed for 3 months. Great. Name ice creams makes me hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lolzz! Loved reading it Abhi. There is a show called Man Vs Food in Travel channel. The guy Adam goes to placed around US and challenges to eat the more dishes in a given span of time and then his names goes on the 'Wall of fame'. Your story reminds me of that TV program

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Abhi,
    Good Morning!
    An enjyable read early in the morning!
    I will not ask you,what happened later?
    I loved the spirit to be the winners!:)
    Abhi,you did not join me when I completed 300 posts.:(
    Hope and pray you write often as your words melts like an ice cream!
    Wishing you a beautiful day ahead,
    Sasneham,
    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol....That man would never forget you guys :D and also I think he might have canceled that offer for ever..lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there...first time here....I loved the mallu spirit of u guys...pavam kadakaran....ethayalum offer mattikanum...should tell my 2 bros (total foodie) to visit that place....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow what a nice challenge, well who can resist icecream....and that looked so tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow awesome dude!Really incredible.What a fool that ice cream parlor owner was?I am truly wondering!Well ,if not 6 I think I could have finished at least 3 to 4 in 10 minutes and walked out!Good you must have really satisfied your ice cream anguish right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Mridula - We all changed to teenagers while receiving the invitation for the ice cream challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Nithya - Actually I got a lot of scoldings from the Gym master. I had to workout several hours to makeup the fat and calories added.

    I am happy that I was able to complete the challenge by the waiter. Though we were not able to completely enjoy the ice cream, we managed to feel the enjoyment of the competition and the crying faces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Swathi - It was really a nice experience and yes a lot of calories... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @VS - never watched that program,here we don't receive transmission of Travel channel. Let me try from Grandma's home. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anu- I often read your posts though sometimes unable to comment or not in a good mood to write sincere comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Gulmohar- I think you are correct, he might have canceled the offer. He even wont entertain us again or would have shifted the shop by now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Nisa Homey - Welcome to the space Nisa. Your brothers are always welcome, I will try to give a company again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Sushma - It was enjoyable experience.

    @Raji - It was hard to digest all at the last and did not notice the difficulty while fighting for the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like so much fun, 6 ice creams and a shake, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Omg... U had 6 ice creams at a time :) Reading this post I started carving for ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahaha hooo... that was a wonderful icecream festival. it is nice reading you after so long. hope you enjoyed the icecreams and that the sneezing you have is not because of them :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your valuable comments. I do respect your opinions.

All the posts are about my life with a pinch of comment on social activities and new discoveries happening around us.

The purpose is to impart knowledge and welcome comments for correction on views, since these are from a single spectator.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin