Monday, July 19, 2010

Do hotels serve love with food?



Why do people eat? To live, to gain weight, to grow taller… stronger, to develop brain, to avoid being ill, increase immunity power, to look handsome/beautiful… and so on there are many answers. When I was small, my mother used to tell me that if I eat well I would become more intelligent (more because I was already intelligent yaar… when I was born) and grow taller. She used different tricks to feed me, making small balls of rice and say that they were the eggs of a bird and I should eat it before she comes. The most commonly seen among the parents is the third-party trick (Please eat fast or your aunt will be the first to eat this). So in short, we all grow after experiencing these tricks from our mother.


(photo credits - Bits n Bytes of Life)

Mother is the most loveable living thing everyone has in his or her life. We cannot compare her love, affection and food with anyone in this world. Do hotel servers love with food? I hope no.

We often let unnoticed the valuables we have and complain. When I was at home, I used to say “amma! Is this the only thing I have for the day? I am fed up of eating the same thing again and again.” She always tries to satisfy the needs of the family. I knew she prepares the best but I always tried to get new dishes every day. Ah, every kid tries the same, I know. ;)

It was Saturday night when I reached home at Cochin. Jk went home to meet his wife and I alone felt bored to cook. I understand why my mother feels happy when we are there to eat food together at home. Sharing and enjoying is of course a different feeling. I searched the shelf and found two pieces of the four packed “Horlicks foodles” (these are the noodles from horlicks). I used beans, carrots and tomatoes as extra ingredients for the noodle. My mother uses five to six vegetables when she cooks noodles. She said noodles alone do not give you any value, it matters on how much vegetables you consume with it.



Talking about the noodles, I remember when I was a child I was fond of Chinese movies and often saw people eating long noodles with the sticks. I always ask my mother why the noodles we prepare are short and why not to use sticks for them. She never gets irritated with my questions and somehow finds answers to them.

I started Sunday by preparing chapattis and beans sabzi. I never tried a sabzi out of beans however; I thought to eat something different. I used onions, beans, carrots, tomatoes and few masalas for preparation. It was not a grand food but digestive and tasty. When I prepare sabzi I always make them juicy. When at home, my mother prepares methi ki sabzi and chappaties for dinner and I love them. However, mine was not good as her but it at least made me remember her.



In the evening, I had some aero root chips. My mother brought it the last time she visited Cochin. I fried them, spread some chilli powder and salt on it and enjoyed them with Jana. Jana lives besides my room, always busy with his computer or National Geographic. His full name is Janardhanan and he is native to Tanjavore. He told me about a lady who used to bring aero root chips to their house. When I was studying in the fifth standard we had a babaji(old man) selling aero rot chips in front of the school. We used to purchase them and put them on all the fingers. It was fun eating them while attached to the fingers. Being kids is fun and you can never get those days back. My sister and I used to play battles placing the aero root chips on the fingers making them act as swords.



The day started with chapattis and chana curry. This time I did not go for a chana masala and tried chana curry. I like a variety when I am alone. I am afraid to try new recipes on Jk. Jk lives with me and he is fond of experimenting dishes. He recently tied to prepare puttu (a dish in Kerala made of rice and wheat in a steam vessel. It is also called a steam cake and is found mostly in south India) using jaggery and coconut and ended in a hard ball like structure. He gave some to Jana to try the taste and asked the feedback. Jana was mum for some minutes and Jk was eager to know the feedback. Jk insisted jana to speak and he shouted at Jk saying “your puttu got stuck in my mouth. What is this you prepared, Is it some kind of revenge?”... ha ha Jk always faces such incidents. Today he spoke to me about trying his new invention and hardly had I made him convince to try it for next week.



I watched Avatar - the last air bender few days ago and liked the movie. While searching for the movie I found that it was from a famous animated serial broadcasted in America and later in India. I downloaded all the 63 episodes of the cartoon and completed watching 13 of them. It is a cartoon serial but funny. I am trying to finish them as it is making me feel anxious as what will happen next.

Cartoons make us laugh and at least for some time make us forget the tensions and worries we have in life. Therefore, I say good-bye and I am waiting to see how Aang the avatar wins the story defeating the fire lord. ;)

22 comments:

  1. All the dishes looks yummy, am sure you enjoyed making them as well as having them...so Abhi is back in action:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abhi,
    I think you are better cook all the dishes are looks good.I love reading the final verdict of puttu made by Jk. My hubby quotes always when some thing i cook gone bad, that failures are ladder to success so try again to reach the top of ladder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey yeah even my mom had a whole lot of things to tell me to make me eat :) I was a troublesome kid when it comes to eating and she used to force me to eat it seems. Now I am taking revenge. I am cooking new stuff and forcing her to eat them.. he he he :)

    Wow beans subzi!!! that sounds interesting. You are really becoming an expert chef :) You have got a nice future boss ;)

    Dont remind me of maggi. I am such a noodle crazy person :) I can eat it 4 times a day throughout the year also :)

    So you are turning into a kid now Abhi.. Watching cartoons and all. But true. No age limit for all that. Even I like watching them. Enjoy buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like the fathers to cook a little more :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. now you have become a serious food blogger ;)
    looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sentimental entry! Love these chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After a long time so many delicious foods on ur blog, great to see u cooking again:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That channa looks mouth watering! love your take on why we eat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Abhi,
    Good Evening!
    Happy to see you back into the track.What a way to enjoy a Sunday!The dishes are so good.Beans sabzi will be better without gravy.Make it dry.
    Karkidakam started and we are supposed to have leafy vegetables.
    Away from family,it is so difficult to spend holidays.
    All mothers have their own stories to feed their kids.
    ''We never know the worth of water till the well is dry''.
    Between are you reading Ramayana?
    Wishing you a lovely night,
    Sasneham,
    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow!that was a yummy write-up...
    Well done...Abhi....
    Hoping much more tasty dishes from u Abhi...
    All the Best... ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Abhilash, Looks like lot of cooking going on lately, sounds kool...like all the recipes, never tried adding tomatoes to the noodles so far, will keep this in mind:)I remember vaguely those chips...guess relished it, when I was a kid. Final verdict of your friend sounds interesting, that's the spirit:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. first i thought this is foodie blog !! Ur mom will b happy as u start realising how much you crave for the silliest of all things !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Mother has so many tricks up her sleeve!

    Ur dishes looks delicious.. Hats off to u.. some girl is going to be very lucky :)

    Cartoon has no age!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Abhi How you doin' ? Glad to see you all after a long time :-)BTW I was there in God's own country for a while , enjoying the monsoon and the food :-)
    Can't agree more..Mother's cooking is the best !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know Horlicks make noodles, too. What a nice recollection of your mom's loving cooking...guess her hard work has not gone to waste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful and lovely post. All the dishes looks delicious and mouth watering. Brilliant presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice reading how u like experimenting with different dishes and make them delicious ... n i guess boys love expermenting as my brother does too ... off course moms are always the Best !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice post & good blog, i think u must try this site to increase traffic. have a nice day !!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for visiting my Kavita blog and for your lovely comment. You are welcome in all my blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wish you a Happy Friendship Day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Abhi,
    Nice to hear from you regarding the experiments. I will visit you when i came for vacation next time. I want to taste you food. Convey my regards to JK also.
    Sooraj

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi abhi .liked ur blog .its nice.. i like the way u went on every minute with ur mom's memories. yes a person realises the true value of his loved ones once he is away from them . hey ur a nice cook.ur beans sabzi looks yummy..and ya even i cook noodles with some veggies for my son.tht gives noodles some "meaning".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your valuable comments. I do respect your opinions.

All the posts are about my life with a pinch of comment on social activities and new discoveries happening around us.

The purpose is to impart knowledge and welcome comments for correction on views, since these are from a single spectator.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin