Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Sunday that started walking through payyanalloor – Travelers description in Kerala



This weekend I decided to go home and joined Jk and Biga on Ernakulam-Kollam passenger that reached Kayamkulam Junction at 6.30 PM. I called my uncle and he said me to wait at Kattanam junction so he can accompany me home. We reached home and I enjoyed there with the boys (Children of my aunt and uncle). The dinner was made grand through vegetable biriyani which was a group effort of the family members. Today I had to go to my grandmother’s home and the only bus from this place was at 11.30 AM.



My uncle’s house is situated in a village called as Payyanalloor in Kerala where there is less transportation available. I reached the bus stand with Nandu (the elder son of my aunt and uncle) and began waiting for the bus. Nandu was on bicycle as he had to go back tomorrow for his daily-schools. I waited until 12, noon and understood that the bus which was scheduled to arrive at 11.30 is not coming today.



I asked Nandu to bring a bottle of water; umbrella and we decided to walk. It was hot and humid outside and my laptop made my shoulders pain. I gave the laptop bag to Nandu and told him to place it at the carrier on the back of his bicycle. We started walking enjoying the sceneries on the road.



Walking in a village is fun but at the same time a tedious job because there are too many hills ad slopes and the ways are zigzag. We reached the junction and Nandu asked me the route we should choose. There is a route that makes the journey easy but it requires walking on a mountain generated road. We decided to go a easy path and started walking upwards. We reached the top and by then we were wet in sweat.



We drank some water from the bottle and continued the journey further. I could see ponds, cow, goats and birds around in the background. We stopped and took several snaps and continued the journey further. Nandu started dictating me different jokes and stories about his neighborhood club of which he is a member. This made the journey more interesting. I do not like to travel if it is just boring looking around the birds and talking their language.



We reached a slope which had a path leading us to a shortcut to grandmothers home. This route went through a farm with rubber trees. There were footprints that were created through constant human-marches. We walked through the rubber farm and it was dense inside. I tried to put my eyes up on the top and could see only some light piercing the leaves of the trees that surrounded the sky making a natural roof.



The route ended on another footpath that was the way to grandmothers home. We walked along it and finally made it to grandparents. We had our lunch with fish curry, fish fry, rice, pappadam, moorucurry, vazha koombu thoran, chcka thoran and merukuvarutty. The lunch was superb and the after-hours were spent watching movies followed by snacks.



I have a train tomorrow at 7 AM and will have to wake up at 4 AM. Buses are limited during early mornings and time is an essential criterion you should meet. I packed all the baked items my grandmother has for me. The days ahead will be spent with my friends in Ernakulam.

19 comments:

  1. Aha! there is nothing that refreshes you like a good old walk through the village..seriously. I've been to payanoor a lot of times with a few friends of mine..guess there are a lot of clubs there..beacuse most of my friends from payanoor always tell me about their club adventures..

    ReplyDelete
  2. pic is so beautiful,so much greenery around and such a calm place...Nice place to be around at times, and it was again a very nice write up, enjoyed reading it as usual..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading, nice place to go...awesome clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess you had a nice time :) Years since I went to my aunt's village.. after seeing your post and the pic, I feel like visiting her and the village. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the food menu is making mouth watery :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. refreshing walk. even to read and see about :) more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my God...all these pictures makes me nostalgic...I miss my home :) I enjoyed reading your post Abhi :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to read your post Abhi... nice pictures... missing all these here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enikku nostalgia varunneyyyy....nice photos,lucky u....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am getting goosebumps..The lush green fields and trees,and boy! is that beautiful or what!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nostalgic! lovely photos and yummy food that you mentioned...

    nd wish my Grandmothers were still alive! there is nothing like having a warm and loving meal served by them!

    thanks for the lovely trip Abhi...

    ReplyDelete
  13. seems like a nice walk! At least there was a feast waiting when you arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely walk that was to your grandmother's house! I would never take the bus if I had such a walk instead. And the food she made for you sounds mouth-watering. I don't eat fish, but the rest sounded good too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Abhi...will definitely pass the message to my husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful we went to kerala on our honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm envious. Everyday seems like a great adventure to you! And haha, glad you got in a good work out! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey abilash,
    I came pretty late here , but never miss your posting Ha ha...Enjoyed ur writeup!!Beautiful click!!U make me nostalgic with ur posting.. these bring back memories of going back to my grandma's house for our school vaccations and getting all fav food & enjoying.. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your valuable comments. I do respect your opinions.

All the posts are about my life with a pinch of comment on social activities and new discoveries happening around us.

The purpose is to impart knowledge and welcome comments for correction on views, since these are from a single spectator.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin