Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Captivating features of Poornathrayeesa Utsavam 2009 held at Tripunithura temple



I am riding my bike through the streets of Tripunithura with a helmet on my head. I took a U-turn from statue junction moving ahead, towards the poornathrayeesa temple. I can see people inside their shops that are ready for the ulsavam in the temple. There are police men on both sides of the streets vigilant to act in case of protest. I shifted the bike to first gear and started exerting a push- pull pressure on the clutch to give me pickup and drop for a zig zag turn, sliding the bike through the mob watching the utsavam. I managed to park the vehicle in front of a shop and started walking towards the temple with Jk.



Tripunithura is decorated like a newly wedded wife with jewellery replaced by flowers and decorative lights. Children are eating mulaku bhajiya(chilly bhajiya) and buying toys from the shops on both side of the street that end at the temple entrance of poornathrayeesan sree Vishnu. For Poornathrayeesa utsavam 2009, girls are busy watching boys and boys are busy watching the mob : ) ha ha… no comments. I am not looking for either of them but a shop that sells sugarcane juice. I remember the location of the shop in 2008 and to my surprise I located it at the same position in 2009 .



Jk and I had the sugarcane juice and bought a red colored chocolate made by local sellers. I asked Jk to test some eatables but he resisted due to his malfunctioning stomach which suffered the problems during Mumbai visit. He said that we can taste it tomorrow with a hope of getting his stomach to normal.


I can also hear sweet melodious sounds coming from a shop nearby that is selling audio DVD’s. I looked upwards and I can see the temple decorated with lights making its structure glow in the night. Poornathrayeesa temple is a popular temple in Ernakulam based in the hearts of Tripunithura, the land of royal blood. Poornathrayeesa ulsavam is a eight day celebration and with the visitors increasing day-by-day.

The ulsavam begins with a kodiettu followed by pancharimelam, cacheris, kathakali, Chakyarkoothu, Ottanthullal, musical concerts and bharatanatyam dance. Great artists from around kerala gather at the temple to demonstrate their skills before lord poornathrayeesa . Lord poornathrayeesa is believed to be residing the temple as child Krishna, the eighth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. His presence reflects positive energy and growth to the residents of Tripunithura. Previous year I met Jayasurya, a Malayalam actor who came to view the utsavam. Ernakulam is not scarce of celebrities and they are often visible here.


I did not go inside the temple as I was not fresh after a journey from MG road to Tripunithura. We have decided to go and visit the temple tomorrow morning. I do not plan to wear a mundu or a dhoti but I am happy that I got rid of a bulky tummy which was there a year ago. I had to hide it with the shirt half covered over my chest and make my stomach shift inside to avoid the laughs from girls. I am now pleased and willing to run a body show LIVE in the temple. Kidding…

I also would like to invite you all to the marriage of my friend Ananthakrishnan that will be held tomorrow in mavellikkara. We will leave Ernakulam at 8 in the morning. The marriage is at 11 am and we expect Dileep to land us at the place before the marriage begins. I think tomorrow is going to be a busy day for me as I will have to spend more time in office, working on the tasks I wont be able to attend in the morning.



I will keep you updated about the rituals in the ulsavam and temple. Also I hope to visit the temple and view the dance and elephants LIVE. Celebrations start from 4 in the afternoon and continue until the morning. Utsavams in kerala are the energy exhibitors for the citizens worried with their daily activities.

20 comments:

  1. I insist that you upload a larger picture of the first one! There are so many interesting items I want to take a close look! What's hanging up there, the one above the motorcycle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re:Angie's Recipes

    Sure I will get a close picture for it tomorrow. This was taken when I was riding the bike.

    The one above the motor cycle is the chips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is really fantastic.What a good read.ur post are a walk into kerala for me, who has not had the joy of visiting tripunithura temple.. The pictures on your site are a treat to the eyes. missing nammude naadum and ulsavam etc..(

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first and third picture is amazing. Wonderful picture with detailed description about your visit at Tripunthara temple. I have been there and was remembering while reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the lights..It looks so beautiful!Congrats to your friend..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow abhi another wedding means another lunch on the banana leaf!I love eating the traditional from the leaf.Been to Kerala on a school trip.Can't remember much but i have innumerable mallu friends including you who literally take me to all parts of kerala.Waiting to read about the wedding galata.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never visited this temple though I've passed it many times. Always salute the God from the bus. :)
    Colourful pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing pictures..loved reading each and every delail of the utsav...

    ReplyDelete
  9. great pics and description! evn though I stayed in cochin for a long time ..never had teh oppurtunity to visit the temple during the ulsavam time. Folowing your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures! I love the temple with the lights lit up. It's really breathtaking.

    Abhi, about the burfi - yes it stuck together even though it was rather moist. Putting it in the fridge and serving it cold helped retain the shape too. Thanks for your compliment! It was very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have some very good pictures here Abhi...children eating milagai bajji...wow thats spicy even for me :) Have fun at the marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never heard of this festival Abhi..i had visited the temple when i was in EKM...thanx for sharing and enjoy....

    ReplyDelete
  13. The temple all lighted up looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow.. you have projected the festive mood. colorful pics and nice description :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh nice post! Guess you had a good time. I am reminded of the "thiruvizha" in my native village :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such fun!! I want more pictures with food! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the description and photos. I am from Tripunithura, and dearly missing the utsavam for last few years.

    I think you went wrong on one of the details here. Lord Poornathrayeesha is not in the form of child Krishna the 9th incarnation of Vishnu,(that is Guruvayoorappan) but in the form of SanthagopalaMoorthy who abducted the 10 children of a Brahman to Vaikunda. The children were later rescued by Arjuna and Krishna after visiting Vishnu at vaikundam and negotiating with him. The sole purpose of Vishnu abducting the children was to bring Arjuna to Vaikundam at the request of Lakshmi after hearing the heroics or Arjuna. And there is a myth that the first idol in this temple was brought by Arjuna from Vaikund

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun festival! Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures with us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome pictures!I love reading your blog as I like the way you write giving even small details.You brought the festival right in front of our eyes with your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Festivals can be fun time! the pictures are very colorful and lively..

    so how was Mavelikara - my hometown :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your valuable comments. I do respect your opinions.

All the posts are about my life with a pinch of comment on social activities and new discoveries happening around us.

The purpose is to impart knowledge and welcome comments for correction on views, since these are from a single spectator.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin