Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Human Crocodiles found in NM food court Ernakulam



I got an invitation from Biga for a dinner at NM food court Ernakulam. I asked him the reason but he did not tell me. After many interrogations he finally split the secret that it was for his birthday. This was like inviting the hungry human crocodiles for a feast.
I was at room watching a movie and the phone rang “tring tring” displaying the name Biga. I answered the call and he said I should be present at the hotel in 30 minutes. I took the jacket, stared at it for few seconds and finally decided to wear my red T-shirt.



Some of my friends gave parties for their birthday to make it memorable. Soon it becomes a custom that each one should celebrate his birthday, spending the grand 500 and 1000 rupee notes in their wallet. To some of us it is a get-together that we don’t have anyhow, but for others it is a chance to save the money spent on their dinner and lunch. To a waiter or a hotel owner, it is their test for tolerance and patience.

We reached the hotel and Biga called the waiter, close enough to hear him and decode his messages. Biga asked “what is the special for today”? The waiter replied to the question saying Alleppy pronze, varatharacha chicken, mutton ulathityathu, paneer sticks, chicken roast, kalumekkaya. He spoke in the same way children used to say the mug-up poems in schools, faster and sharp enough to understand. Biga said to bring 1 from each special dish.

The waiter, my friends and I were captured in the same gesture, mouth opened, astonished, like watching dreams. The waiter asked again and biga had the same request. Walking three steps and the waiter returned saying they have a new dish that they plan to launch today, “the chicken alaique” and will we prefer to try that too. Biga nodded his head and the waiter walked smoothly, with his legs stick to the ground to make him retain his balance.

We ordered and started eating, soon the waiter came with a dish with chicken and some leaves and fried potatoes surrounding it. He called it chicken alaique. It was stuffed with paneer inside chicken. We made all the empty space in the stomach fill with the maximum we could intake leaving nothing for water passage.



It was about to stop and soon Jk ordered a chicken tandoor. This was the end to my patience as I had enough and my stomach was full. I regained my complete power, folded my fingers making a perfect weapon for power punch and said “Jk, get ready for another round of competition”. Soon we broke the legs and meat from the stomach of the chicken and left noting within the plate.

It was hard to move around, even standing straight, walking a meter distance appeared like running marathon. It was a stomach filling grand party, not necessary though enjoyable.
.
I read an article by one of the blog writers about the life of the children living in slums and their desire for good food. It makes me realize I am part of an economy that has money to spend, eat unstopped and waste a lot. Are parties really necessary? Do you need to give parties? Everyone has different answers against and for the topic to make it a perfect debate, with some being neutral as they think; thinking is a sin.

I would go against the topic and would insist on making the celebrations and expenditure to minimum, making use of the data when needed and supporting the ones, who need the needed. I am also part of the high class society that shows gratitude, affection and charity for popularity and status increments. I can write 10, 20, 30 blog topics on charity and usage but, will I try to implement my writings, giving them the life they need beyond words and their meaning. God knows what the day after tomorrow will be.

I would suggest to spend reasonably, and help others.

28 comments:

  1. Yes, I think those of us with the means do spend in ways that are sometimes frivolous. It is good to stop reflect on how we live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice topic for discussion...yes we have to make celebrations and expenditure to minimum..there r lots of starving people around us...when we make gatherings for our dearones,we shud make similar offerings to less fortunate tooo...O/w God wnt support us...I dnt remember any of my birthday's tht we have celebrated,instead my parents always wanted me to give sme offerings to some orphanages ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: palidor and tresa

    thank you for he comments. I am happy you guys have a better view towards life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting this post is..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say a grand party is one way in which money goes from one person to another and so on.. When a rich person celebrates, the money goes to the hotel owner and from him to the server in turn he might pay his debts at the grocery shop and so on.. so no harm. But if you can directly give it to the needy, then thats the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: Nithya

    I agre with Nithya but then do we need to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it happens to all of us, for example I complained about a thali on my blog yesterday and the while I was thinking someone would be grateful for that food. Yet I went ahead and wrote it. Strange are the ways of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was interesting...ya v should def spend wisely ...party are not neccessary...its the happiness that matters and v can share it by many other ways too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think one need to restrain from celebration, after all , when you make money, you need to enjoy it too. Alongside, you can always spend a percentage for social cause. Well, its my take on this.

    Whatever you indulge, indulge without guilt. If you have guilt lingering, avoid the act.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mridula:

    I read the post on your blog and I think it was on the food served by Indian railways. It is true they dont have a better level of service now.

    Even food cannot be taken safely...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Re: Sushma Mallya

    I agree with your point, but my view is that we should have parties and celebrations regardless of making them daily activities and competitions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Re: Lakshmi Rajan

    I agree with your feedback and understand the importance of celebrations in life but are they a means to show-off? thats the question.

    Spend for the needed, support the needed and be part of the needed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very grateful that I have all that I need, and maybe even more than enough. you're right, we are very privileged. But I do believe we ought to celebrate once in a while! There is actually no right or wrong answer to this. If you are able to donate your money and not feel bitter about not being able to enjoy more, than go ahead. Otherwise, it is better not to give at all, if you do so with a regretful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Re: Sophia

    A new and better opinion.
    Thanks sophia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting post. I never take food served in the train as it is tasteless, horrible and also unsafe to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i guess we can do it both ways, by celebrating and paying the people who worked to make the food, and also by providing food to those who are not able to work or get food.

    on a long term vision, the first one is effective, it creates more job opportunities, make their life better, and feed more people. the 2nd one is not sustainable always, they may need to be fed always. but probably there is no other option for people who cant really work. if they can work, the first option is always better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. then, whatever we do, having the compassion for the needy is the most needed :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post. Well debatable as you mentioned. As long as celebrations are not an excuse for lavish spending and extravagance, I think its ok. The point is, the definition of extravagance would be different to different poeople. If we really feel for people who may not be as priviledged and lucky as us, the best way to do something about it, is to allocate a small part of our salaries to some charitable organization. Honestly speaking, I dont believe in teh other concept of money passing through hands and reaching teh needy when one spends lavishly..I just think thats a a convinient validation.

    Hey..btw..nice bog..read through most of your posts in the first page..you've got another reader in me :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wat a menu Abhi...i am planning to donate the money i get from blogging to the charity started by my friends in India..They r helping poor to build new homes,and financial help to those who r suffering from deadly diseases...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Lakshmi Rajan spend some percentage for social cause no need to restrain from celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Real nice post, Abhi!It is always nice to rethink about our expenditure.But what I don't believe is when ppl do fund raising by partying esp for the needy, I would rather give directly!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Celebrating with near and dear onces is necessary. Else how would you enjoy life. Life would be dull and boring. A portion should definitely go back to the society though. May be arrange food for one hungry person along with it will manifold the joy of celebrating bday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Growing up in Ukraine even if anyone did have any extra money to spend, there was no extra special food available to spend on. Whenever my mom could get a whole chicken, it was a holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Abhi, I have an award for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice post Abhi, an eye opener for many.
    A small portion of income should be donated to the needy. At the same time we should not restrict ourselves from celebrations, life may become dull and tired.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Its a curse on we south indians that we look and worship the north indians and north indians look and worship the US people. Infact Our culture is so rich and true to every aspect of life which we never understand. Our relations are strong and touching each lives that are associated with us, still we try to adapt to cultures which has nothing to do with imotions relations and a meaningful life. Party is again a word brought in by the british when they invaded our land. We still hang on to Party, BPO culture, raindance, and many more to name it which are just left outs by the people who made us slaves once. US guys have now understood the meaninglessness in this vandal life and they are respecting indian culture while we are still looking towards them and trying to be what they are... save 100 rs every month instead of feeding people who are already full and sick with over feeding and invest this 100 rs in some orphan kid who has not seen any fortune of life from the day he or she is born and let them atleast be fortunate enough to get a basic living.. this would seek blessings from those innocent and helpless souls. I hate party and feeding people who are already at the heights of joy and who talk rubbish about us after eating full and leaving the party room.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A word more to be added to my openion.. Have you ever seen any party happening where a hungry and a poor needy person is invited. All who are invited will be rolling in riches with nothing to do other than enjoying fantacies of life. Those who have had many meals a day and having cholestrol and stomach issues. What do you gain by feeding such people infact? Is it just for the sake of it, or for showing that i am rich... Many parties are found as places for pomp and show, where the people who collect plates, who serve and those who entertain basically are some way or other harrassed and we look upon them as just small fries. Party is a definition of not enjoyment but 90% above parties are just places for the rich and the carefully careless people to show off, those who eat a lot and do nothing come and have a free delight, and a place to look at the helpless down, gossip and many more activities whih looks like just out from the graveard of humanity. Guys i would always spend my money on feeding people who stay in orphanage, old age homes, leprosy centres and those kids who beg on the street. Ofcourse a day of joy and a moment of enjoyment should start from good things of life rather than polishing the bad part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What? How is this even possible? I am so amazed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your valuable comments. I do respect your opinions.

All the posts are about my life with a pinch of comment on social activities and new discoveries happening around us.

The purpose is to impart knowledge and welcome comments for correction on views, since these are from a single spectator.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin