Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rushing towards Cochin’s Bhel puri King, the Yadav bhel puri wala



A small motorcycle, its powerful engine belying its exterior, sped through Cochin, heading towards the group of people gathered around a small thela. To a disinterested observer it is merely one more bike, making sounds of zham-zhoom.

Excited voices were silenced as eyes were drawn to a figure that approached towards “Yadav bhel puri thela”. His shrouded figure was draped in woolen attire that accentuated his tall slender body, with color of orange shades peeping the gap of it. This was no ordinary man, he was me... Abhilash… : )



Another tall figure Jk took his legs off the byke and followed me. We went to the person running yadav Bhel puri and ordered “Bhaiya do bhel puri parcel”. I can see many people crowded around the thela to make their taste buds feel the salty-spicy-sweet taste of Yadav’s recipes. In Ernakulam and entire Cochin you could see a lot of yadav’s running chat, bhelpuri and pani puri thelas.

They have their empire and their staffs to promote their north Indian snacks that are sold at affordable but pocket-breaking prize. They break samosas and call it chat, they mix murmura with mixtures, sauss and call it bhel puri, they put coloured water in small puris and call it pani puri. I complain a lot about their recipe prize but still like to have them.

This guy was lacking my favourite dish called “Dabeli” in his small wooden-built shop. It is a pav with half cut, stuffed with onions and spicy masala. It tastes awesome.

We took the parcel home and enjoyed eating it. People at Cochin gather around 5.30 to 6 PM in front of these thelas chatting, murmerring, discussing ideas and eating the chats and bhel puri’s. My mother used to prepare them at home.

I get most of the things here in Kerala but still miss the north. I will make all my desires come true on November 28th when I will be back home.

17 comments:

  1. Me too missing chaats here... not available in my place... your picture looks so tempting... feel like having some now or go to my kitchen and hunt for the ingredients :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started carving for bhel puri now...Me too missing chaats...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too tempting pic Abhi...here in my place all kinds of chats r available in desi stores..mouthwatering shot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hearing about bhelpuri I am feeling hungry. Oh! I miss bhelpuri, panipuri, chat masala etc etc all mouthwatering items. I feel like having bhelpuri right now after seeing the delicious picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of chaats but I loved your post. The visual appeal was spellbinding. I could actually visualize how the chaat was being made and how we gather around to have it at snack time. Awesome post and great pic. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pic abhi...i too love chaats a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too miss chaats...am hungry now..

    ReplyDelete
  8. आपको नवरात्र की शुभकामनाएं। आपके और आपके परिवार की सुख शांति की मंगलकामना करता हूं। आपकी सभी मनोकामनाएं पूर्ण हों

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is “Dabeli” the one on the picture? If yes, I would love to try some too!

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dish on a picture looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I first saw the pic, I thought you made it and was almost ready to take the recipe..LOL Beautiful, mouth watering pic and the good olden memories came back rushing thru my mind..

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehe. nice introduction! it is good to know that you get most of your favorites at kochi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chaat or all good food, and Music are two things that we don't care where they originate - if we like them we have to have them :)

    And fusion chaat or remix-chaat is just like fusion music or remixes :) We may complain but we still like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Abhi,

    I am trying to find the contact information for this Yadav Bhel Caterers, and unfortunately the number from justdial is not correct. Would you be able to give me the info? I have small gathering of 50 people and want to get bombay chaat food catered. We live in hyderabad so can't get out to the streets of cochin. My email id is anu_menon50@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is new Chaat Center open in Palarivattom called Chaat Street. IT's located near S.N Junction next to Renai Cochin Hotel. It's been just 2 weeks since they are open and they have some really delicious chaat being served there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your valuable comments. I do respect your opinions.

All the posts are about my life with a pinch of comment on social activities and new discoveries happening around us.

The purpose is to impart knowledge and welcome comments for correction on views, since these are from a single spectator.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin