Friday, August 7, 2009
Undan pori - The father of unni appam, Ernakulam special
Did you know the recipe for undanpori? Did you hear about it?
My vehicle stops often in front of a tattu kada named Mohan’s tattu kada to have the breakfast. Mohan is 50-year-old man running a small store selling tea, cigarettes, food items like suhiyan, pattiri, korakatta, urunnu vada, undan pori and parippu vada( these are south Indian dishes) inside a market lane in Tripunithura.
Undan pori is my favorite break fast selection. “Undan pori”, I have heard this name only in Ernakulam. It tastes similar to unni appam but big in size and therefore I call it the father of unni appam. Undan pori is a round big appam made of wheat and jaggery. It is brown in colour and tastes crisp and delicious with tea or coffee. I prefer hot milk with undan pori in mohan’s tattu kada.
Try having an undan pori and milk in the morning, I can assure you a refreshing day.
I tried to get the recipe from Mohan but he says he get this prepared from a swami, a Brahmin in the area who gets a portion of the profit for the ones been sold.
I managed somehow to figure out the recipe after insisting mohan.
Recipe for undan pori, the father of unni appam:
1. Banana (malayalees can use a valanthoram pazham) - 1
2. Jaggery or Sugar – 150 gm
3. Wheat powder (aata) - 100g
4. Cardamom Powder – as per your requirements. I will say use 1/3 of spoon
5. Soda - a pinch
6. Coconut – cut into small pieces
1. Fry the coconut pieces in Ghee and keep it aside to cool.
2. Boil water with jaggery until it is tight and brown. You can use sugar-replacing jaggery.
3. Mix all the items listed above including jaggery and fried coconut and keep it for 5 minutes.
4. Heat the oil in a pan. Make small rounds and fry them in oil. You can use an unni appam chatti for this too. The ratio should be big than unni appam.
5. Hey! Undan pori is ready. Enjoy!
Try preparing undan pori and let me know your output. I hope this is a new dish for most of the starters and they can try working on it.